Summer is here and the biggest trends are always maxis- be it dresses or skirts. They are long flowy and light to wear, making them one of the best outfits to beat the summer heat.Women tend to be vary of wearing maxi dresses and skirts as they feel intimated by the length and style.
If you buy the right style you can actually tend to love it. As it adds length and also proportions your body depending on the cut. If you are unsure of the strappiness or lack of it you can always cover up with a jacket or shrug and look trendy. Its rapidly becoming one of the essential summer outfits to own. They are available in prints,solid colours, embroidered,etc and are made of flowy and breathable fabrics. Lets take a look at the different types :
1. Empire cuts : they cut right under the bust and good for petite women as they elongate their frame. It emphasis on the bust so as to make ones frame look larger.
2. Columned : these are absolutely straight dresses mostly made of hoseiry or t-shirt material so tend to be figure hugging. Great option for athletic builds or skinny women as they add curves to your lean form.
3. Divided dresses : these dresses have a little division between the bodice and the dress as either there is a belt at the smallest part of the waist, a flap over the bust area or just a solid bodice but with a different patterned, material or coloured skirt. They are mostly a-lined and the skirt is of flowy fabric. The dress overall is less figure hugging, if the bottom is darker then it gives a slimming effect. Great option for curvy women as it highlights your curves.
4. Cinched dresses : these dresses have a loser neckline which is normally cinched just above the waist. V- necklines are great for a more structured and slender effect for women who are heavy on the bust. It gives more proportion.
5. Tube and halters : a lot of these dresses have band or halter tops making it essential to wear a strapless bra or that the dress has cups. If you are heavy on the bust or arms, you might hesitate but just ensure you have the right bra or jacket and your outfit will compliment your figure.
6. Flowy dresses : these dresses are flowy from top to bottom. The biggest recent trend being pleated chiffon, but ensure you have a tie belt to give it some structure. They can be drowning if it is too long. They have a more defined neckline emphasising on the shoulders. Should be avoided be petite frames as can look like too much fabrics.
7. A lined : they are fitted on top and flowy at the bottom, the best example is the layered dress. They have subtle tiers starting from under the bust. Good option for curvy women as adds structure on top and this style also lengthens ones frame.
8. Slit dresses : they are a lined or columned dresses but have a slit or side slits. They are more stylish and add length as they show legs.
9. Formal maxis : these are made of chiffon, georgette or even silk. They are fitted at the top and come with a full skirt. Printed or solid coloured. They are more casual than evening dresses but with the right cut can make one look a bit dressy.
10. Skirts : there are 3 styles such as : columned which is a straight fit, a-line which is fitted on the hips but flared below, flowy or gypsy which is flared from waist to ankle. Worn with fitted tees , tanks or even shirts.
Thus, maxi dresses and skirts have the right cut and style for everyone. Some essentials to keep in mind while shopping for yours:
a) Prints : petite frames should opt for small prints, curvy women should opt for bold prints on either the top or the bottom so there is focus on one area. Horizontal stripes should be avoided by curvy women as it makes one look broader.
b) Fabrics : hosiery or clingy fabrics should be avoided by curvy women. Flowy fabrics without proper structure should be avoided by petite frames.
c) Length : the fabric shouldn’t bog the length down so it should be light. Ankle length is the ideal length, petite women should opt for lengths with skim the ankle so they add length to their frame.
d) Sleeve : or lack of. Most dresses are strappy or come in halter and tube options as well. Deep necklines put focus on your bust area, and halter necklines on your arms. 3/4 sleeves look nice for a business casual look and short sleeves look great on casual dresses. So decide which feature is your best and how best to showcase it.
Maxi dresses are easy to accessorize either with drop earring, statement necklaces, infinity scarves with jackets or shrugs and chunky bracelets. The dress should be the focus so jewellery minimal. Wedges look great with these dresses are they are perfect summer sandal. Thus, hope now you are geared up for shopping for your dress as I have already decided on mine.
Posted from WordPress for Android