Last week the focus was on curly hair , so continuing lets hair talk, and see how it can be healthy. There are 3 types of hair :
1. Straight: the hair is blunt and straight lined. Oilier than its other counterparts, silky and has a natural sheen. The easiest to grow.
2. Wavy: straight at the top and curly at the bottom. The curls are loose and the texture is smooth. The easiest to style due its versatile nature.
3. Curly: curly hair is further divided into different types and curls rock tells you in detail. It is dry and not necessarily always silky. The toughest to grow.
These are the 3 main categories but lets see how we can get them to be healthy, shiny and manageable :
1. Brushing : it is essential to brush and comb your hair. The round hair brush is your best friend as it increases the circulation of your scalp. I find that the wide toothed comb is the best to untangle wet hair and does ensure in smoother curls .
2. Oiling : there are stylists who disagree but hair oil does give your hair more food for growth. But the trick is to apply oil only the scalp. And maybe rub some on your edges so there are no split ends.
Tip: for thickness, growth and sheen mix castor, almond and coconut or olive oil and massage on your scalp.
3. Shampooing : it is important to wash your hair off all the impurities and grime. The milder the shampoo, healthier the hair. Sulphate free, natural oils and ingredients, keratin and hair protein are some of the varied essentials of a shampoo. The other thing to keep in mind while selecting a shampoo is what do you need it for? There is shampoo for volume, growth, colour safety, moisturizing, repair, texture,etc. The easiest way to check if it is the right shampoo is basing it on your scalp and the conditioner on your hair. Your scalp needs to hydrated, dry and non – flaky. So if your scalp is oily or flaky you need to get a shampoo which treats that. You can also take the shampoo quiz to choose the right product.
4. Conditioning : the conditioner works on moisturizing your hair. It locks in moisture and should be choosen based on your hair ends.
5. Hair spa : you can go to the salon for hair spas once a month or in 2 months. There are many home remedies for deep conditioning like curd, heena, eggs, etc. One can also use deep conditioning or hot oil hair masks which de-stress your hair. These products not only moisturize but also deep condition as they are applied and left on for 30 mins with a hot towel wrapped around your head. This is relaxing and also enriches the texture and makes it less frizzy.
5. Rinsing : one trick for shiny hair is rinsing it with vinegar once a week. Some people also feel that by rinsing it with mineral spa water also enhances the sheen. For dandruff free hair one should rub lime juice on the scalp and rinse it off.
6. Leave ins : leave in conditioners are good for frizzy hair as they make it smoother. It needs to be applied after a hairwash by combing it through your hair with your fingers.
7. Dry shampooing : the latest trend and great option if you don’t want to wash your hair daily. You just spray it on and then massage it onto your hair and then comb it, it immediately removes the grime and makes it look fresher.
8. Serums : there are innumerable serums in the market but all for specific purposes . Some stylist feels they just add on grease to your hair, if you use leave in conditioner then avoid serums. Serums are good for taming fly aways and also protect your hair from heat if you use hair tools. You can select a serum based on its purpose.
9. Styling : styling is done with tools or products depending on how you want to wear your hair. Products include mousse, curlers and sprays and tools are hair dryers, diffusers, flat irons, curl irons, tongs, etc. While using a product remember when you wash hair you use milder products as these are hard on your hair and can have damaging effects.
The best way to have healthy hair is alternating deep conditoning and oiling weekly. Rinsing it once a week. After using styling products, try to oil the hair before washing it so it can have a little repair. Chemical treatments are good short term but long term they have damaging effects as they strip the hair of its natural protein and oils.
These are some basic steps to have healthy, shiny hair which is smooth and bouncy. Hydration and moisture are the key points to keep in mind while choosing hair products.
Posted from WordPress for Android