Purses or bags are the most important accompaniment on a daily basis irrespective of the size. From just being something to put your stuff in they have evolved into the biggest style statements. To the extent that there is million dollar industry based only on them and their prices going up by their exclusivity.
Bag trends are based on shape, fabric, colour and most importantly designer.Bags can be divided into 3 types and then styles are different within them. Lets take a look at bag-ography:
1. Day bags : these are bags you use for work, school, shopping,etc. They are casual and are normally medium sizes. Lets look at their varieties :
1. Satchels : structured handbags with square sides and 2 shoulder straps. Have lots of pockets and come in different fabrics.
2. Hobos : crescent shaped bags with one shoulder strap in built in the shape. Mostly in softer fabrics, shimmery or quilted being the most popular variety. They are medium to big sized. Look great with casual wear, the leather ones can be used for work.
3. Tote : a large mostly square or rectangle bag. Have small handles or straps with pockets and flaps. Structured and a great option to carry tablets and notebook computers. Most popular with working women especially during interviews. A larger flat bottomed variety with one zip or opening held together by a button are also known as shopper bags. Very spacious.
4. Bucket bag: shaped like a bucket and has a string pulled together instead of zips or buttons. It has shoulder straps and no pockets inside. Its a smaller bag so works well for casual or light work days as well
5. Doctors bag : the female briefcase. Originally used to keep medicines and medical tools, but now more of a style statement for power dressing. It has a handle and has a flat bottomed and rounded side shape. The opening is hard shaped and clasped together.
6. Feed bags : shaped like a basket and have short handles to be arm carried. Leather or cloth based very popular to carry small pets as well. Have an opening but no buttons or clasps to close it.
7. Messenger bags : they are cross body or one shouldered bags which are a bigger version of the sling as they have a flap. Good for carrying laptops and documents. Go well with casual outfits and are made of soft fabrics.
8. Crossbody bags : these have thick straps and are worn across the torso. Mostly are backpack or hobos in soft fabrics.
2. Evening bags : these bags are smaller and dressier. They are not necessarily for evenings as the name suggests but basically for occasions and social outings, where you don’t need to carry much stuff. Here are some styles :
1. Clutch: the perfect accessory to complete your evening look. Mostly small and come in rectangle or oblong shapes. They can be hard or soft and have flaps or buttons. They are handheld so no straps. The newest trend is fold over clutch with come with a square cut out making it easier to carry and making clutches more spacious. These are more casual in nature.
2. Envelope bags: square shaped bag and is stitched exactly like an envelope. It is a modern clutch gaining popularity. Mostly leather and is closed by press buttons. Great with dresses and skirts to get a polished look.
3. Miniaudere : jewelled evening bags adorned with stones or sequins. Come in different shapes but have a metal opening with a clasp which has to be unhinged. Very formal and add some glitz and glamour to your attire.
4. Baguettes : they are rectangular .i.e long from side to side and small from top to bottom. They have shorter handles and pair really well with a pair of pants.
5. Wristlets : these are wallets or clutches with a wrist handle attached. Very small in size and great for just stepping out with essentials.
6. Sling bags : its a smaller version of a messenger bag , mostly rectangular. Long or chain strap used to sling over the torso or the shoulder. Have a turn clasp mostly and come in various fabrics.
7. Batwas : the Indian evening bag, shaped like a potli or a sack and has drawstrings to close the opening. Made of soft materials cab be adorned with embroidery for a formal look.
8. Cigar cases : these were a trend as they are hard cased miniauderies but with a short beaded handle to carry.
3. Weekend bags : these are bigger in size and also used as travel or overnight bags. They are used for carrying a lot more stuff. Here are some stylish options :
1. Napsacks : these bags are have straps for 2 shoulders and come in sizes ranging from small to large. Mostly made of harder materials have different pockets to carry alot of stuff.
2. Athletic bags : these are rectangular or oblonged shaped bags which also able to carry athletic apparel and equipments.
3. Bowling bags : originally used for carrying bowling balls but now have become style statement. The original bag was big and spacious but you do get smaller varieties to be carried on the arm. They have a handle and no straps.
4. Duffel bags : the most popular overnight bag. Made of soft fabrics with cloth handles, oblong shaped. Also used as a gym bag and is easy to carry.
5. Weekenders : these are duffel bags but with long shoulder straps. Mostly in hard fabrics. Have no pockets and can be stuffed in .
6. Cosmetic cases : rectangular or square shaped and are used to hold make up or jewellery. Small and spacious make it easy to keep them in big bangs and handy for touch ups.
These are all the different bag styles but you can refer to bagology and bag talk to see what suits you best. Bags have become the most popular designer accessory which is now used to check your style quotient. Not only they are specific to fabrics but to even styles whether it is the Berkin Kelly or the bottega veneta quilted shoulder bag.
Gone are the days of the boring colours to match your shoes or belts, as the colours and fabrics now are used to add personality. Printed bags , patent leather, jute bags are just the tip of the iceberg as far as bag trends go. So choose your bags wisely as outfits can be rearranged to compliment them.
Colour blocking (matchbox) takes away the monotony, but ensure you have the right bag for the right occasion. Professional bags look best in leather or harder fabrics as they give a more polished look. So experiment with your arm candy options .
Posted from WordPress for Android