This article is dedicated to all the working women. Whether in India or abroad the question always is what is the correct work wear. Power dressing means owning not only your job but also your career and dressing for it. So am not going to list what all is as you can refer to all my other blogs on that but what works best and how.
It is going to be a mix on Indian and western wear. So here goes :
1. Business suits : best option for formal business meetings or conferences. Options are in the form of pant, skirt or dress suits. They look extremely professional and very polished. With the right fit and structure pair it with your best heels and you are ready to take on the world or maybe just the business day.
2. Dresses and skirts : they are the growing trend and skirt options ranging from pencil to flared. The trick is to pair it with the tight top as there is no jacket to give it structure. Sheath, A line and wrap dresses work best as they are more structured and give a more polished look. Please refer to all dressed up and skirting issues.
3. Trousers : termed as the most comfortable option for work but the trickiest to get the right fit. Pairing it with the right style of blouse or shirt will make you edge out even in the mail dominated work sphere. Refer to top shop and pant-o-mine for more styling options.
4. Salwar suits : a straight fitting kurti paired with nicely tailored churidars as the perfect work wear. Structured pants and A line kurtas are another option to experiment with. In salwars, half patialas with straight kurtas are good options . Silk and cotton fabrics with more structure and less accents ( embroidery and borders) should be favoured. Prints should be balanced in terms of colour and pattern. Please avoid lycra and stretchy churidars even though they are fuss free maintenance , they do not accentuate your legs. You can go through Kurta klad and rock bottom chick for more style news.
5. Sarees : the quitessential graceful Indian outfit. Always looks sophisticated and is favoured by teachers and hospitality professionals. Silk, synthetic and cottons are the preferred fabric. Stay away from over the top embroidery and borders. Please refer to sari-nation for some more gyan.
Attention should be made to the cut, style and fabric while deciding work outfits. The details are in the prints, embroidery and borders. The lesser or leaner the better. Accessories, shoes and make up dominate your look.
Shoes should have heels whether wedge, block or pencil. They should be clean cut and well polished. Make up light and focus on one feature only. If you prefer focus on lips then eyes should have very minimal highlights
Jewellery should be focus on one item , if dangly earrings then no necklace, if statement necklace then studs. The watch should make a classic statement and even if you opt for bracelets they should be very thin. With ethnic wear bangles or kadas do look nice but ensure they are not too blingy. Belts and handbags are very important. They can be coloured but ensure they are not too decorative.
The way to get power dressing right to focus on structure and fit of the clothes, the smoothness of the fabrics. Dressing the right way is getting you ready for your career path and on the way to get yourself some style to be the devil wearing prada , Louis vitton and burberry;)
If you have any style queries please feel free to comment or email : aamrav@ gmail.com
Posted from WordPress for Android